Whistler Wins SHIFT Sustainability Award
Several establishments and organizations in Whistler have been awarded the SHIFT Sustainability Award, culminating in October 8 – 10, 2014. This initiative is to recognize the most impressive and inventive sustainability efforts among various organizations around North America.
Showcasing sustainability in Whistler Blackcomb
Out of 600 different sustainability initiatives, 50 winners were chosen to participate and educate participants at the SHIFT Summit. Participants will explore effective ways to tackle sustainability issues within their respective communities.
The winners from Whistler are:
- Whistler-Blackcomb – Adventure Category
- Whistler Off Road Cycling Association (WORCA) – Adventure Category
- BC Passive House – Culture Category
- Whistler Compost Facility – Culture Category
The purpose of SHIFT is to collaborate with these communities to come up with the most effective best practices, highly vital to sustainability. The winners were judged on the following areas:
- Increased efficiency (i.e., produce at least the same amount and quality of a product – whether a good or service – using fewer resources).
- Decreased toxicity (i.e., produce at least the same quantity and quality of a product in a way that is less harmful to the environment).
- Reduced consumption (i.e., lead to people using fewer resources and products without experiencing a significant diminution in quality of life).
- Increased transparency (i.e., help consumers better understand the products they use).
- Healthier ecosystems (i.e., act in a way that enhances the likelihood of one or more specific natural systems continuing to exist and function properly).
- Healthier communities (i.e., without compromising environmental health, act in a way that results in healthier lives, greater happiness, better education, increased acceptance of diversity, and/or greater economic opportunity and security).
The Summit will highlight Whistler Blackcomb’s “Zero waste, zero carbon, zero net emissions” as a platform for sustainable practices involving the organization, the resort visitors and the entire community. WORCA’s continuous efforts to coordinate within the community to provide mountain bike access, and Whistler Compost Facility’s process of disposing waste in an sustainable way will also be discussed during the sustainability conference.
If you’re looking to visit the award-winning Whistler Blackcomb resort, we hope you think about alluraDirect.com. We have been in Whistler since 1998, and have a wide range of properties ranging from studio to luxurious 10 bedroom homes.